Friday, 19 March 2010

Kicking a Cold Corpse

Recently for the Rockfort French music website I asked electronic producers Hypo and EDH to interview each other. The full result can be read here and I think makes for a great read, but this part from Hypo about postmodernism really stuck out for me. The clunky translation from the French is mine:

"I liked playing with the codes of postmodernism. That’s really the background that I’ve come from, like V/Vm (that's the Caretaker, for the hauntologically inclined) and several others among my contemporaries. We took great pleasure in wringing music’s neck. It was good, necessary and healthy. And I still do it to a certain extent. But at a certain point, our generation woke up next to a cold corpse that everyone had been sticking their boot into, and we really had to decide what to do with it. Since then, many people have carried on thumping on cold meat as if nothing had happened, with others retreating to very conservative, classical forms, and yet others cultivating some form of revival of all sorts of genres, with the ‘mise-en-abyme’ of ‘revivals of revivals’."

I also like him on live vs recorded music.



You can get pretty much the whole of Hypo's back catalogue here for free

No comments:

Post a Comment